General Tips for Gathering Information
Here are some pointers that will make it easier for you to speak to your healthcare provider:
- Take someone else with you. It aids to have another person hear what is said, and think about questions to ask.
- Write out your questions before you go, so you don't forget them.
- Pen down the answers you get, and make sure you understand what is being said. Ask for clarification, if necessary.
- Don't be scared to ask your questions or ask where you can find more information about what you are discussing. It is your right to know
Specific Questions to Ask Your Healthcare Provider
- Do my symptoms suggest pneumonia?
- How could have I contracted this infection?
- Do my symptoms suggest a specific type of pneumonia?
- Are you at all concerned about the O2 level in my blood?
- What symptoms could suggest that Iím developing a more severe case?
- What symptoms could suggest that Iím developing complications?
- Is my infection contagious?
About Your Risk of Developing Pneumonia
- Do I have some other conditions that could increase my risk of pneumonia?
- How can I decrease my risk of developing pneumonia?
About Treatment Options
- Is it bacterial pneumonia and will it respond to antibiotics?
- Are there any new treatments for viral pneumonia?
- What is likely to happen without treatment?
- What medicines are available to me?
- What are the benefits/side effects of these medications?
- Will these medicines interact with other medications, over-the-counter products, or dietary or herbal supplements that I am already taking?
- Are there any complimentary or alternative therapies that will help me?
- Are there any comfort measures you can recommend?
- Is hospitalization required?
About Lifestyle Changes
- Is there any life-style change I should consider to more quickly recover from pneumonia or to prevent another out-break?
- Could you help me stop smoking?
- Do I need to curtail some of my activities?
- How should I know when I can resume my usual activities?
About Your Outlook
- How long could this last?
- Am I likely to develop complications?
- Is this likely to occur again?